Thursday 19 March 2009

Sponsored run/walk

Our very good Friend and supporter, Stuart, is looking to raise funds for our work by running/walking The Lyke Wake Walk in July. The extract below gives details, do e-mail me for further information and how to support him on fmuncaster@hotmail.com.

The Friends of Mettupalyam Trust is a village based project supporting children and adults in a very poor rural area of Tamil Nadu, South India. The project centres on the education of children, improving their future lives and health through education and better nutrition.
Following the Tsunami, which affected the coastline some 40 miles from our project Friends of Mettupalayam started a second project on the coast, with three classes of around 48 children. They have helped to set up and support over 200 women’s self help groups.
Back in July 2007 I undertook to walk Scafell Pike three times in one day, which I managed with excellent support from friends particularly on the last climb!! The money raised enabled me to make a real difference to the lives of the people in Tamil Nadu.
This year on July 18th I am doing “The Lyke Wake Walk” , hopefully this will be twinned with an event in the village in Tamil Nadu.
I have set myself the challenge of completing this walk of 40 miles across the North York Moors in just 12 hours, starting at 6.00pm and finishing at 6pm. To qualify for the Wake Club the walk is normally completed in 24 hours so 12 hours should prove a real challenge!
The walk includes 5000ft of climbing with the highest point on the walk being Botton Head at 1489ft. In order to reach the deadline I will be running a substantial part of the way, with the company of a few friends on the way! Training has already started with the Bath Half Marathon under my belt and a few more (local) races scheduled.
I do hope you will join me in supporting this project, further details of which can be found on the website www.irdt.co uk , thank you for your kind donation based on a fixed amount for me completing the walk within 12 hours.

No comments: